Sunday, April 22, 2007

Show Me The Money

In a previous blog I mentioned the ludicrous salary disbursements in education. The administration is supposed to support our teaching. Their salaries should also reflect that support role. Our superintendent gets paid $229,000 per year. That's more than Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, who is 3 heartbeats away from the presidency! Maybe the Hayward Unified School District Superintendent of Schools gets paid for every vowel in his title. If you had to buy his 18 vowels for $12,722 each, it would just about amount to his salary.

A starting Teacher in Hayward, CA makes about $47K per year. Though that figure is very deceiving because there are no benefits included in that amount. We must "buy back" our benefits. For example, I pay $4,800/year in health and dental with no dependents. Then teachers also pay mandatory union dues of $1,200 per year and a mandatory retirement deduction of 8% of our salary ($3,760 per year for $47K). SO that $47K a year just quickly became $37,240 per year BEFORE TAXES.

Now, after taxes, there are the classroom expenses. Teachers are not required to buy things for their classroom, but if you've ever tried to capture the attention of 32 squirmy 9-year-olds, you quickly discover that you need materials! Every teacher I know spends hundreds to thousands of dollars each year on supplies. I've used my own money to put together a classroom library of books, buy markers and colored pencils for each student, writing and math journals, art supplies, math and language games, etc. I was shocked when I did my taxes last month and discovered I had spent $1,375.00 on my classroom! But I was able to take a $250 deduction as a teacher.

Then there's the extended education courses we must take. I spent another $750.00 on classes last year. (NO, the school doesn't pay for it.)

"Well, you get summers off." Well, let's clarify that too. Our summers are 10 weeks. One of those weeks (minimum) is spent cleaning up your classroom (end of year) and setting up your classroom (beginning of next year). Then there are tons of classes and trainings in the summer. Last summer I spent 3 weeks in trainings and I had to fight off another 2-week course that was being recommended to me. Most teachers I know are doing coursework (required to renew our teaching credential every 5 years), OR are teaching summer school, OR have other jobs to help make ends meet.

Yes, we have more time off, but we are not PAID for our time off. It's NOT paid vacation time. So, even when we do take a vacation, there’s not a surplus of cash funding the excursion(s). Don't get me wrong, I love the schedule, but there are alot of misconceptions out there.

WHINE, WHINE, WHINE!!! Even I hate myself right now. GEEEEEZ. If you're still reading this, you've probably experienced a root canal and decided, this ain't such bad readin'.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sal. I'm teaching up north in Ukiah. (Mendocino County). It is my first year. (First Grade) I have a couple of young children, as you know, and the most difficult part for me has been the time away from my family that this job of teaching takes. If you want to do a good job, you HAVE to go in on weekends when you are first starting out. (Although I see seasoned teachers there on weekends too). I spend a lot of my own money too. In the summer months I take courses and will be in my classroom at least twice a week. I live really close to the school where I teach, so I often go in at night after my kids are in bed, after having already worked that day until five or six. I love my job. I want to do the best job I can do, so I am ok with my schedule. But, to be paid what I deserve and to be respected for what I do would be nice. I have friends who teach abroad in China and South America. They want to keep teaching elementary school abroad because they are paid very well and treated with the utmost respect. Love your blog.

Jeanette
First Grade Teacher
Ukiah, CA
Graduate Porterville High School
with Sally 1983

Anonymous said...

oooohhhh! Math! Hilarious about the cost per vowel, by the way. :)

One of the things that intrigues me is that the people who believe that teachers have it made are such a small minority, but they talk. so. much. that it *seems* like a lot of people hold these misconceptions. Most people who have spent more than 15 minutes in an elementary school can't believe there's anybody willing to do this job at all. For any price!

When I hear our superintendent or the administrators shake their heads and claim they wish like heck they could afford to pay us; that they know we're worth so much more, but gee, the money *just isn't there*, I always think that these are just words in a politician's game.

If I were a superintendent or board member, and I heard (on the radio call in shows) or read (in newspaper opinion pieces) these things that you've pointed out, I would be the first person in line to defend my teachers. I would be on *fire* that somebody would DARE to talk about my teachers that way, after everything they give and do, so far beyond what the contract requires.

I wonder...could public education could exist without our personal sacrifices? It's not our job ~ to teach. It's who we are ~ teachers.

xoxo
Mia