Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Rock Bottom


I want to be in shape. I think I would make a great "in shape person". Often times people mistake me for an "in shape person" because I am not visibly overweight. I can hide my beer belly and that's really all that is visibly overweight about me. But the problem is, as much as I want to be one of these healthy "in-shape people", I just don't have the dedication to sacrifice what it takes. This hit me, like a train, as I was having beer and bacon this morning. Yes, beer and bacon. I was meeting some people about joining a softball team and I decided I should have a beer. After all, it was just after 12 noon. I signed up for the team alright, but I will admit that I have lots of fear around my level of fitness. The first woman I met was on a team that went to the World Series last year. I don't even know exactly what that means, but it sure sounds serious. The last time I played on a softball team is was mostly about what was in the cooler at each game. So today, as we were finishing up the discussion and paying the fee, I realized that i need to get in shape. It's not so much about needing to lose weight as it is about getting fit. I need to build muscle and work those muscles that I'll need to play baseball/softball. All this was going through my head, as I was drinking a beer to accompany their brunches. I was picturing myself eating more healthy meals, pumping weights at the gym and having an overall mindset of a healthy lifestyle. Shortly thereafter the other women left, leaving me at the table sipping my beer. I noticed that one of them had left her bacon on her plate. Now let me back up and tell you that bacon is one of my all time favorite smells. AND, bacon can taste mighty good as well. SO, here I am staring at a plate of bacon strips. What choice do I have? It's practically blasphemous to leave it there. The pig already died to give us this bacon and I couldn't bear the thought of leaving it for the trash (or compost at best). So I ate it. I sat there, by myself, drinking a beer and eating bacon. This my friends, is MY rock bottom. I'm in training as of tomorrow! Though I DO have brunch plans at a place that probably makes killer Bloody Marys, so I guess training can start tomorrow afternoon. I'll keep you posted.

6 comments:

Stephanie J. Rosenbaum said...

Bacon! You know there's a bacon of the month club, right? And Avedano's, my local meat shop (slogan: "We put the butch in butcher"), sells buttons that read "I love you more than bacon". When I worked in the deli of a fancy supermarket, all the office ladies would stream into the kitchen as soon as the smell of frying bacon (for the German potato salad) started streaming thought the vents. Right now, I'm making lentil soup using this morning's leftover bacon grease. Mmmm.

Anonymous said...

Let me just say straight out..."The best thing in life is bacon!" I am a true bacon lover! I cooked 1/2 lb. yesterday for the 3 J's.

My best thoughts are with you on your fitness plan. I have an event during the last weekend in April in Big Sur. I have know one to join me and would love to have the company. We will walk/jog to the best of our abilities. 26.2 miles but it will be fun! Are you with me?????

Great talking to you yesterday! Love, Reg

ange said...

oh my God you are hilarious. i love it!! we can make that walk around the lake a run if you want, but i might keel over in the process. let me know :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SAL said...

Ah...thank you bacon lovers, for your love and support. My arteries thank you too!

Amy Wagman said...

I think the real crime was that the softball star left perfectly good bacon on her plate. Was she not feeling well? Did if fall on the floor? I don't understand.

All praise Sal for SAVIN' the BACON! Bacon in the garbage - now that is blasphomy!